Engineering and Maintenance (MAS EM) is hoping Qantas Airways will send some of its aircraft to Malaysia for heavy maintenance checks.
MAS EM senior general manager Roslan Ismail said in an interview that he is hoping Qantas may have heavy maintenance checks on A380s as well as Airbus A330s and some of its 747s done in Malaysia rather than Australia.
He also says MAS EM and Qantas are proceeding with plans to establish a joint venture that will utilise MAS EM's heavy maintenance facilities in Kuala Lumpur.
He says the two sides were originally planning to start the venture in this year's third quarter but now it will start in next year's first or second quarter.
"They [Qantas' maintenance and engineering bosses] said give them a few months to sort things out," he says.
"They have a new CEO at Qantas and they have this union problem."
LOS ANGELES, CA - JULY 17: A US Airways jet is prepared for flight at Los Angles International Airport (LAX) July 17, 2008 in Los Angles, California. The US Airline Pilots Association, representing 5,200 US Airways pilots, and eight senior US Airline pilots have filed complaints with the Federal Aviation Administration, charging that the airline is pressuring pilots to use less fuel than they feel is safe. In a full-page ad that appeared in USA Today July 16, the union accused the airline of 'a program of intimidation to pressure your captain to reduce fuel loads'. Eight pilots who asked for 'an extra 10 to 15 minutes worth of fuel' were ordered to take extra training, which could jeopardize their licenses. US Airways denies that the action was punitive. Because of skyrocketing fuel prices, the airline is trying lighten their aircraft by removing movie players, using lighter meal carts, replacing glassware with plastic, and not carrying unnecessary extra fuel. The company is also cutting inefficient routes and buying more fuel-efficient jets. FAA regulations require airlines to carry enough fuel to fly at least 45 minutes beyond their intended destination. In addition, pilots are given final authority on whether their flight should have additional fuel.
- It has a restructuring plan and a vision of where it is heading
- It has a fleet renewal plan which is in progress
- It has several code sharing agreements within the region and as far afield as North America.
- Allegation of corruption within the airline
- No record of profitability
- A very disruptive labor union
- A potentially explosive geopolitical situation
- US has the dirtiest planes
- Passenger Services
- Dubai plans to turn Concorde jet into tourist attr...
- Kingfisher To Start Dubai Flights
- Engineering Solutions for a Quality, Safety, and C...
- India's Kingfisher Airlines To Fly To KL - malaysi...
- MAS Reduces International Fuel Surcharge - malaysi...
- AirAsia To Offer 200 Free Seats To London - malays...
- MAS Engineering hopes to maintain Qantas aircraft ...
- Pilots Claim US Airways Puts On Pressure To Cut Fu...
- Another "Wrinkle" in the Dreamliner
- Blue Skies; TWA Flight 800
- Pray for Crew - Pearl Continental Hotel Peshawar B...
- Kulula flights
- Training centre for a career in flying
- Singapore Airlines to fly all-business class wideb...
- 241 Bird hits in 2009 causing Rs 7 crore loss to a...
- Interview: Air Traffic Controller from Geneva Airp...
- Viva Barcelona Airport!
- Horses and Barns at Göteborg City Airport
- Golden sun streaming over London Luton Airport
- Hello Kitty, hello Taipei International Airport
- When little airports grow up, they become…: Hong K...
- Singapore, Changi Terminal 3 - designed with a tru...
- Up and close at Sydney’s Domestic Airport
- Upgrades and Downgrades: Airline recycling, wifi, ...
- Both Upgraded and Downgraded: Regional jets with A...
- Upgrades and Downgrades: air traffic control, full...
- Making economy hotels more like airlines
- Republic: Our Lufthansa?
- Midwest Rebuilds Kansas City Route Map
- AirTran Partners with Amex To Woo Business Travele...
- Porter Launches Myrtle Beach Service
- US Airways Receives Approval To Add Mexican Routes...
- Volaris Applies to Expand US Service
- Alaska to Cut Los Angeles – Cancún Service
- bmi and Swiss Expand Partnership
- American AAdds more destinations to ORD!
- Docu-series "Fly Girls" set to take off on the CW!...
- jetWhite....err, jetBlue reveals new livery--not m...
- UA Retiring "The Guppy" today! :(
- Gulf Air goes on sale
- The world’s strangest airports
- Pilot caught with fake license- 13 years later!
- ICON A5 on display at JFK’s T5!
- ▼ March (45)